Pharmacy Grad Student Gives Back in Ghana

But Horn, a UNC pharmacy graduate student, did more in Prampram than collect colorful crafts.

Through a program called Global Volunteers, she spent three weeks administering medicine to Ghanaian people and returned feeling confident about her future in pharmacy.

Horn stayed in the small West African village of Prampram during the summer, working in health clinics for adults and children.

She said she was looking for a summer experience that would supplement her studies and satisfy her desire to help the underprivileged.

During her work at the children's clinic Horn realized the extent of the poverty there. "When someone can't afford medication for their baby that costs only 30 cents, it really gives you a perspective of how poor these people are," she said.

Fellow volunteer Tommy Day said Horn came and left a different person. "She definitely gained an appreciation of the health care system in the United States," he said.

The poverty of Prampram increased Horn's willingness to serve, and the obstacles she met tested that willingness.

She said the frequent lack of supplies was frustrating. Her job at the clinics included treating those suffering from malaria and high blood pressure, but medicine often was scarce. At times, Horn had to travel up to two hours to get medication for simple ailments.

Such setbacks made Horn realize the importance of her work, which didn't stop at medical services. "In Prampram, I was also able to help do things like treat roofs for the local school."

After Ghana, Horn didn't take time out to rest.

Rather than unpack her bags when she returned she headed for New Mexico, where she worked with the U.S. Public Health Services at a Native American hospital.

Horn said working at the hospital helped her decide how she will put her pharmacy degree to use. Large pharmaceutical companies often pay high, competitive salaries, yet the pursuit of money is not Horn's motivating force.

"Although the pharmacy program at Carolina is very clinical, I don't think I will work for a large hospital," she said. "I want to work in an area of public health."

Horn said a career in pharmacy will give her the opportunity to distribute medicine to those who cannot afford it.

Though she has direction now, Horn wasn't always on the road to pharmacy school. After earning her undergraduate degree in chemistry from the University of Cincinnati in 1993, Horn continued her education in chemistry at the University of Ohio, where she earned a master's degree.

During her studies, Horn realized she wanted to go to pharmacy school instead of joining the work force. When Horn got to UNC, she visited University Career Services to find opportunities to help others before graduation.

She found what she was looking for.

"I saw this group called Global Volunteers and decided to just give them a call," she said. "It ended up being something I wanted to do."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.