Re-electing Allen Spalt Ensures the Preservation Of Local Environment

Re-elect Allen Spalt for Carrboro alderman.

For over two years now a diverse coalition of citizens, activists and local legislators has been fighting Carolina Power & Light Co.'s unwise plan to double the storage of high level nuclear waste at the Shearon Harris nuclear power plant.

The plan would make Shearon Harris the largest repository of spent fuel rods in the country, with much high-risk transport of dangerous materials to the plant.

I have participated in the campaign to require safety hearings on the expansion as a local resident and a member of UNC's Student Environmental Action Coalition.

Recently local officials came together once again to request CP&L's reconsideration of this dangerous plan in light of recent terrorist attacks and threats against nuclear plants in the United States.

As a resident of Carrboro I want to extend my gratitude to Alderman Allen Spalt for taking the lead on this issue.

Alderman Spalt was the only signer from Carrboro, and has the Board of Aldermen's unanimous support for his past efforts as a liaison with the county commissioners and N.C. Waste Awareness & Reduction Network (N.C. WARN) on this issue.

I wholeheartedly support Allen Spalt's re-election to the Carrboro Board of Alderman on Nov. 6.

Fawn Pattison

Carrboro