Reis' Kills Help UNC Down Georgia Tech

The Tar Heels, losing 8-1 in the decisive fifth game against Florida State on Friday night, were on the verge of losing their first ACC match.

But Reis had other ideas.

After the sophomore outside hitter brought UNC closer with a couple strong kills, Reis made a diving dig on a shot by Seminole middle hitter Norisha Campbell.

Reis then won the point with an emphatic kill just outside the 10-foot line to cut FSU's lead to three. The blast ignited the Carmichael Auditorium crowd, while Reis jumped up and down, pumping her fist and yelling.

"When you come down to crunch time in a big game, you have to go to your big guns," UNC coach Joe Sagula said. "Nicole had one great kill, which got her inspired. Then she was able to get hot, and she just took it over, and she got us inspired."

Reis tallied eight kills in the game as the Tar Heels roared back for an emotional 15-13 win to remain atop the ACC. During the fifth game, FSU coaches could be heard groaning when Reis prepared to make a hit.

"She did a nice job," said Florida State coach Cecile Reynaud. "She's a great hitter, a good all-around player. We certainly talked a lot about her before we got here."

Talking about stopping Reis is easy; actually doing it is another matter altogether. She is sixth in the ACC with 3.98 kills per game.

Her strongest asset, however, might be her ability to inspire her teammates when they need it most.

"I think (my emotion) helps me as much as it helps everybody else," Reis said. "The more excited I get, the more confident I get, and the more kills I get. It's kind of a chain reaction."

Reis has worked hard to improve other facets of her game, including her defense. Last weekend, Reis dove across the floor to make digs and crashed into the stands in pursuit of deflected balls.

"Nicole is a tremendous athlete," said setter Eve Rackham. "I don't think there's anyone in the ACC that can match her athleticism. She can get us going more than anyone else can out there."

The Tar Heels often rally behind Reis' intensity, just like they did against FSU. UNC will need her to remain passionate and focused through the conference season if they are to succeed in the NCAA Tournament.

"I think the most important thing we got from the Florida State match is that we have got to play with emotional intensity," Sagula said. "If we do, this team can be unbelievable. There's really no limit on how good we can be."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.