Resident Urges Others To Vote for Verkerk for Chapel Hill Town Council

There was a time when students at Glenwood Elementary School were forbidden to walk to school because the town of Chapel Hill could not provide safe crossing at N.C. 54 for those who wanted to walk.

It was at that time that I met a thoughtful, outspoken mother of three whose child was forced to endure a 45-minute bus ride in place of his otherwise 10-minute walk to school. Rather than accept this as "the inevitability of growth," this mother organized three protest walks of 80-plus people. Walkers came from all over town to peacefully yet powerfully state their objection to the school's ban on walking.

Following the walks, the Chapel Hill Town Council moved quickly to appoint a citizens' task force to come up with solutions. Three years later, Glenwood students can once again walk to school. They cross under the safety of two steadfast crossing guards. There are School Zone signs overhead and sidewalks along N.C. 54. Textured crosswalks, rumble strips and a landscaped median are yet to come. Who was this woman? Her name is Dorothy Verkerk, and she's running for Town Council. The Town Council needs a working mom who knows the struggles working parents face -- even with such seemingly simple tasks like getting their children safely to school. Vote for Dorothy Verkerk. A vote for Verkerk means a voice on Town Council for working parents.

Valerie Broadwell

Chapel Hill