Student Group Hosts Forum For Candidates

Contenders for Chapel Hill Town Council and mayor each had three minutes to speak about their views in front of the audience

All three of the candidates for mayor and nine of the 10 candidates for Town Council were in attendance. "(The forum) captured many issues important to University students and residents of the Chapel Hill community and how the issues are important to us," said senior Chris Brook, president of Young Democrats.

The three mayoral candidates were allowed one minute to answer each of three different questions concerning fare-free busing, limits on Halloween festivities and the Master Plan, UNC's 50-year blueprint for campus growth.

Mayoral candidate Kevin Foy said he understands the University must grow but that officials must have regard for the environment. Concerning upcoming Halloween festivities, Foy said the celebration is "emblematic of what is good on campus -- the vitality."

Mayoral candidate Cam Hill said fare-free busing will not solve all of the transit problems in Chapel Hill. "I would try to get the University to take responsibilities for their actions."

Lee Pavao, the third mayoral candidate, said traffic, not Halloween festivities, should be regulated. "You need to control cars from coming in, not keep people away," he said.

The forum allowed each Town Council candidate three minutes to speak to the audience of about 60 students.

Candidate D.R. Bryan said he wants to bring more life into the town and into Franklin Street.

Candidate Larry Daquioag said he wants to improve conditions for people in public housing.

Candidate Lisa Everett did not attend.

Candidate Richard Giersch said his focus is on town-gown relations.

Candidate Ed Harrison told the audience he believes transit is a key issue.

Candidate Mark Kleinschmidt stressed the importance of town planning, especially when anticipating town growth.

Candidate Bob Reda said he wants to make sure Chapel Hill is a place to which students will still want to return with their children in 20 years or more.

Candidate Diane VandenBroek said she advocates affordable housing, bike lanes, clean air and more parking facilities.

Candidate Dorothy Verkerk stressed the importance of building affordable housing that would allow more faculty and staff to live in Chapel Hill.

Incumbent Edith Wiggins acknowledged the importance of pedestrian safety and campus safety.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.