Students Sponsor Cancer Week

Events for Cancer Awareness Week, sponsored by Carolina Cancer Focus and Asian sorority Alpha Kappa Delta Phi, began Monday and continue through Thursday night. The week also will include games, information and fund raising in the Pit from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day.

"We want to make everyone aware of how they can work to prevent cancer," said Emily Edmunds, CCF publicity chairwoman.

CCF was founded in 1998 by UNC students to heighten awareness of the disease, educate about prevention and improve the lives of cancer patients.

"Cancer is so prevalent and far-reaching that it is important to have an organization on campus to address the issue," said CCF Vice President Jamie Shuster.

The organization provides numerous service opportunities, including hospital visits, fund-raisers and a tutoring program.

The special events staged by CCF for the week began Monday night, when students were encouraged to make cards for cancer patients from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. in 301 Bingham Hall.

At 7:30 p.m. today, UNC women's basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell will speak in 101 Greenlaw Hall about her past ovarian cancer scare.

"We are excited about having Sylvia Hatchell speak," Edmunds said."She is very active in cancer awareness."

There will be a free movie and dinner Wednesday night at 6 p.m. in 305 Dey Hall, and a luminary vigil will be held in the Pit at 9 p.m. Thursday, featuring the Achordants singing group.

Representatives from both CCF and Alpha Kappa Delta Phi will be in the Pit this week passing out information, as well as holding a raffle and luminary sale to benefit the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.

"Luminaries can be purchased at the Pit in honor or memory of someone with cancer," said CCF President Erica Simon.

CCF officials said the raffle prizes were donated by local vendors and businesses, such as McAlister's Deli and Johnny T-Shirt.

Event coordinators stressed that there are many ways college students can help by volunteering and participating in various activities.

Chessa Huff, a junior from Charlotte, approached the tables in the Pit to learn more about ways to get involved.

"I hope to participate in this week's activities because this is an important issue for everyone," Huff said.

"Cancer is a disease that affects everyone, including college students."