UNC Alumna Reflects On Past, Urges Students To Not Boo Players

I listened in dismay Saturday as Woody Durham described UNC fans booing their quarterback and players during the ECU game.

What, I thought, would possess anyone -- student or other Carolina fan -- to boo anyone working so hard, even if those efforts aren't always successful? Not five minutes later, Woody turned to describing the halftime ceremony -- former Coach Bill Dooley and his 1971 championship team was being honored.

My dismay became guilt as my thoughts turned to memories of the mid-1970s and Saturday afternoons in Kenan Stadium where I joined in the chorus of boos as Coach Dooley tried to spark his players to win. It didn't always work, and we often left the stadium disappointed. I even had a "Toodle-loo, Dooley" bumper sticker on my '67 VW Bug and was elated when I heard the news that'd he left the Carolina program. As an avid fan, I'd had one too many Saturday afternoons of "off right tackle -- off left tackle -- up the middle" coaching.

But time heals old wounds, so they say. As I look back on those days, I realize how insensitive I was to the hard work of coach and players. Just because a player has a bad day or a coach can't get the spark going, is no reason for true-blue -- Carolina-blue fans to boo anyone off the field.

I wonder, can those students who were participating in the booing on Saturday walk into the classes they share with any of Carolina's football players and not feel a tinge of guilt over their actions? Don't wait 20 years to realize that such insensitivity isn't worth the time it takes to participate. Go Tar Heels!

Suzy Maynard Barile
Class of `75
Cary