UNC Downs Maryland in 2nd Half

After resembling the latter of Robert Louis Stevenson's characters for 45 minutes, the Tar Heels turned it around in the second half and defeated Maryland 2-1 at Fetzer Field.

North Carolina junior midfielder David Testo and senior back Chris Leitch scored second-half goals as the Tar Heels (8-2, 2-1 in the ACC) overcame a sloppy first half to post their third consecutive win.

Leitch, who scored for the first time since 1999, said UNC coach Elmar Bolowich gave the team a "kick in the butt" at halftime.

"We weren't really playing 100 percent," Leitch said. "But in the second half we picked it up a bit."

Despite UNC's first-half play, Bolowich said he was satisfied with his team's effort.

"We had a couple lapses back there, but I wasn't really concerned," he said. "Maryland was never a constant threat to us."

Bolowich said he told his team at halftime to shoot more in the second half.

Three minutes after the second-half kickoff, the North Carolina offense took his advice to heart.

In the 48th minute, Testo took Marcus Storey's centering pass, dribbled once and ripped a 25-yard shot that beat Maryland goalkeeper Noah Palmer to the near post.

"I think that was the key -- just our attitude toward attacking and shooting," Bolowich said. "The more shots you take, the more chances you have to score a goal."

A Tar Heel defensive miscue just 35 seconds later set up Maryland's (4-4-1, 0-2-1) equalizing goal. After a UNC foul, Terrapin midfielder Ian Rodway tied the score at 1-1 when he headed in Scott Buete's subsequent free kick.

"We just fell asleep on the restart," Bolowich said.

UNC took the lead for good in the 55th minute when Leitch scored off of a deflected corner kick. UNC midfielder Logan Pause collected the loose ball and passed it back to Leitch, whose 30-yard shot beat Palmer into the upper left-hand corner of the net.

"Logan gave me a great, unselfish pass and I didn't even look at the goal, I just shot it," Leitch said.

North Carolina continued to pressure Maryland's defense, but did not add to its lead. Storey had an impressive game, nearly scoring twice.

"The team's saying I'm doing good things," Storey said. "If they say I'm doing good, I guess I'm doing good."

Bolowich said he has been impressed with Storey's continued improvement and integration into the Tar Heel offense.

"His speed, coupled with a technique and the touch that he has on the ball, enables him to get into spaces behind the defense," Bolowich said. "And that's what we want him to do."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.