Volleyball to Tangle With Jayhawks

North Carolina has won 11 straight matches and has compiled an 8-0 record in conference play this season.

Coach Joe Sagula's Tar Heels enter the match in the midst of an 11-match winning streak and are alone atop the ACC standings with a perfect 8-0 conference record. The Tar Heels swept N.C. State and Georgia Tech in their last two conference matches after surviving a 3-2 thriller with FSU on Oct. 5, when the Tar Heels rallied from an 8-1 deficit in game five to take the match.

Kansas arrives in Chapel Hill with an 11-6 overall record and is led by Sarah Rome who leads the team with 3.6 kills per game.

Danielle McHenry leads the Jayhawks in digs (2.58) and also is adding 2.85 kills per game.

UNC's Holly Strauss leads the conference in blocks with 98 for a 1.58 blocks per game average, while Laura Greene is second in the ACC in digs per game.

The crowd Friday night should be one of the largest crowds to watch a college volleyball game on the United States mainland this season.

Last season's match with Wake Forest prior to "Midnight With the Tar Heels" drew 7,442 fans. The University of Hawaii was the only school to have more fans at a match in 2000.

Admission to Carmichael Auditorium begins at 6 p.m.

General public parking will be available at the Smith Center, Boshamer Stadium, Ramshead, Bell Tower and Highway 54 parking lots.

Cross Country Teams on the Road

The North Carolina men's and women's cross country teams will be back in action this weekend at the NCAA Pre-Meet in Greenville, S.C., Saturday and the Wolverine Interregional in Ann Arbor, Mich., Sunday.

The NCAA Pre-Meet, hosted by Furman, will have the women's 6,000 race beginning at 10:45 a.m. and the men's 8,000 run starting at 12:35 p.m.

The Wolverine Interregional is slated for Sunday with the women's 5K race at 10:30 a.m. and the men's 8K event following at 11:15 a.m. at the UM Golf Course.

Also Playing

The field hockey teams travels to Charlottesville, Va., for a Saturday match and returns home Sunday for a 1 p.m. game against Radford ... Women's soccer takes on Florida State on Friday at 7 p.m. and Wake Forest on Sunday at Fetzer Field at 1 p.m. ... Men's soccer plays in the UNC-Greensboro Soccer Classic. They face Georgia State on Friday at 5 p.m. and South Florida at 1 p.m. Sunday.