Weekend Points Snag Martin Honor

Abby Martin scored two goals and tallied an assist in North Carolina's 4-1 victory against Virginia on Saturday.

The Tar Heels were victorious in both of the matches, including a 4-1 decision against conference foe and eighth-ranked Virginia.

In that win, Martin scored two goals and assisted on another to pace UNC with five points.

On Sunday, the native of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., assisted on two of North Carolina's scores as the Tar Heels topped Radford 8-0.

Martin also earned Player of the Week honors Sept. 3.

UNC takes on Old Dominion at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Henry Stadium and plays Maryland and at Duke on Saturday and Sunday, respectively.

Reid Picks Up Award

North Carolina free safety Dexter Reid is this week's ACC Defensive Player of the Week, the conference announced Monday.

Reid had eight tackles, an interception and a touchdown in the Tar Heels' 30-24 victory against ACC foe Virginia.

While it was the second consecutive game in which Reid picked off a pass, this one resulted in a 67-yard, fourth quarter touchdown return that proved to be the winning margin.

Reid also had eight tackles on the day, six of which were solo efforts, and two pass breakups.

It is the first time in his career that Reid has earned ACC Player of the Week honors.

He has started all seven games this season and is third on the team with 55 tackles.

Flanagan Earns ACC Honors

Wake Forest's Nathan Sisco and North Carolina's Shalane Flanagan raced their way to Cross Country Performer of the Week honors, as announced Monday by the ACC.

Flanagan, a native of Marblehead, Mass., ran the 5,000-meters race Wolverine Interregional in a time of 17 minutes, 26 seconds, 36 seconds quicker than any other competitor, helping the Tar Heels win the event.

Basketball Tryouts to Be Held

North Carolina will conduct student body tryouts for the 2001-02 men's basketball team Oct. 23 and Oct. 24.

Tryouts will begin on both evenings at 9:30 p.m. and will be conducted at the Smith Center.

Interested students must show proof of a medical physical that has been done in the last 15 months.

The physical must be approved by UNC Sports Medicine.

Contact men's basketball trainer Marc Davis at 962-7129 for further information or questions regarding the physical.