Basketball's Early Woes Will Fade

It will be all right.

Yes, the 2001-02 season has gotten off to the one of the worst starts in North Carolina's storied history, but there is plenty of time for Matt Doherty's crew to right the ship.

Here are the numbers: UNC averaged 34.4 percent shooting from the floor and 23.8 percent from behind the arc. Kris Lang leads the Tar Heels with 12 points a game, while Jason Capel is pulling down the most rebounds, 11 per game. UNC is turning the ball over 18 times a night while earning 14.5 assists.

"It's got to be low," Doherty said of the team's confidence after the 58-54 loss to Davidson. "After the game I was very positive with them. It does shake your confidence. We've got to start making shots."

That notwithstanding, there are some encouraging things for the Tar Heels. Against Davidson, freshman point guard Melvin Scott led UNC with 15 points, while Will Johnson chipped in eight rebounds.

Johnson has shown steady improvement from last year in UNC's preseason and first two games. The 6-foot-8 forward has proven himself to be a beast on the boards and doesn't hurt the Tar Heels when he subs for Capel.

Scott showed an ability to hit

3-pointers -- he was 3 of 5 from downtown -- which the Tar Heels desperately need. If North Carolina continues to see the zone, and it will, Doherty needs someone who can hit a 3 and be that outside threat. Normally, that guy is Capel, but he's been 2 of 15 thus far. Brian Morrison, also a good shooter, has struggled overall and is going to have to cut down on his turnovers. He turned the ball over five times in nine minutes of play against the Wildcats.

Once UNC's perimeter shooting gets going, teams are going to have to pick their poison between 3s and Lang down low. Although Lang struggled in the first two games, he also scored 25-plus in UNC' s preseason. If the Tar Heels can get the ball to him -- in other words, do better against the zone -- Lang will have more successful games.

In North Carolina's immediate future are Indiana and Georgia Tech, two games in which the Tar Heels will probably be the underdogs. No UNC team has ever gone 0-4 to begin a season, and this team might not either.

Anger and shame are powerful emotions. Although both Capel and Lang are familiar with playing on underachieving North Carolina squads, they both desperately don't want the program's glory to be tarnished under their watch.

And Doherty doesn't want that either. When Hampton upset UNC 77-69, the second-year coach acknowledged he hadn't prepared his team well. Doherty has just three years under his belt as a head coach -- it's no wonder that there are times he's been outcoached. Playing against Davidson's Bob McKillop, the guy who gave Doherty his first job, probably didn't help matters.

The Tar Heels have until Wednesday to figure out their problems before they try for another win. Some problems merely take time: Scott, Jackie Manuel and Jawad Williams need to grow up a little more and get used to collegiate basketball, but they've shown some skill. Also, the Tar Heels have to cut down on turnovers, and they must shoot better.

Some things are going to take patience. The point guard situation isn't looking good right now, but Doherty has shown a willingness to experiment with his lineup. Whether the steadying hand of Ronald Curry returns or not, UNC has to solve this problem, and it could take time.

North Carolina basketball is North Carolina basketball. It might take a little while, and it might not be a Final Four-destined squad, but fear not Tar Heel faithful, your team will play better.

Rachel Carter can be reached at racarter@email.unc.edu.