Bunting: Durant to Return Today

Quarterbacks Ronald Curry and Darian Durant suffered deaths in their families and returned to their hometowns.

Both players left the team this week to return to their hometowns after deaths in their families.

Women's Soccer Tourney Kicks Off

The North Carolina women's soccer team plays its first match of the 2001 ACC Tournament at 5:30 p.m. against eighth-seeded N.C. State.

This year's tournament is being held in Winston-Salem at Wake Forest's Spry Soccer Stadium.

North Carolina finished the ACC season 7-0 while the Wolfpack was winless in seven conference games.

The two teams played last Thursday in Chapel Hill with UNC winning 4-2. The Wolfpack has never defeated the Tar Heels.

UNC hasn't lost the conference title since 1988 when the Tar Heels tied N.C. State to share the title.

Wednesday, the All-ACC Team, All-Freshman Team and Coach of the Year were announced.

Anson Dorrance won Coach of the Year after leading UNC to a perfect regular season, while five players made the All-ACC squad and two rookies made the All-Freshman team.

Danielle Borgman, Jena Kluegel and Catherine Reddick made the first team. Alyssa Ramsey and Anne Remy were picked for the second team while Anne Morrell and Sara Randolph were chosen for the freshmen squad.

UNC to Race in NCAA Regional

The North Carolina cross country teams will compete in the NCAA Southeast Region Cross Country Championships this Saturday in Greenville, S.C. The event, hosted by Furman, will take place at the Furman Cross Country Course.

Leading the UNC women's team will be Shalane Flanagan, who won her second-consecutive ACC Championship this year and Carol Henry, the ACC Freshman of the Year.

For the men, Matthew Daly and Greg Remaly will run for UNC. Daly was the highest-placing Tar Heel on the men's squad at ACCs with a 23rd-place finish, while Remaly took 48th spot at the event.

Bray Finishes Tied 1st Place

PALM DESERT, CALIF. -- North Carolina's Dustin Bray had a tremendous tournament finishing tied for first with Washington's Brock Mackenzie for top medalist honors at The Prestige. The Asheboro sophomore fired a third round 67 giving him a 13-under-par 203 total.