Council Set To Consider Fiscal Equity

Discussions between UNC and town officials about which entity should pay costs created by UNC have gained momentum recently.

The council's action, another step in ongoing talks about cost-sharing between the two entities, comes in response to the UNC Board of Trustees' discussion of fiscal equity last week.

Chancellor James Moeser, responding to the Town Council's request for further discussion about fiscal equity, sent a letter to the council Nov. 16 after discussing the issue with the BOT.

Moeser's letter included the BOT's decisions on 17 requests Chapel Hill officials made of the University in a Sept. 10 memo sent to University officials.

Discussions about fiscal equity sprung from meetings between town and University officials -- most of which focused on UNC's Development Plan -- during the past year.

The council's request detailed ways that UNC could promote fiscal equity and assume responsibility for costs created by UNC.

The main point of contention between the town and the University is the costs incurred from cleaning up the landfill on the Horace Williams tract off Airport Road.

The town wants the University to cover the cost of removing an old landfill from the site, but the BOT delayed a decision that would define UNC's role in picking up the tab.

Another major issue the town wants UNC to address is the registration of student vehicles. The council wants UNC to encourage students who are registered to vote in Orange County to register their vehicles with the town. The $20 registration fee goes toward the maintenance of roads and public transportation.

Town Council member Flicka Bateman said she is pleased with the way the talks have progressed. "This is a step in the right direction," Bateman said. "I would like to see more done. I suppose this is a long process, but it is a step in the right direction."

Other town and University officials could not be reached for comment Sunday.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.