Elimination of Student Resident Parking Spaces 'Slap in the Face'

The elimination of student resident parking spaces is an unfortunate slap in the face for students at Carolina, as our worth is placed below that of faculty and staff.

It has always been my understanding that a University embodies freedom -- freedom of thought, action and movement. At UNC, our freedom of movement is being infringed upon. Of 14,558 spaces, 480 belong to student residents, which is a pathetic 3 percent.

Without a car, going home is a hassle, and the Chapel Hill area suddenly shrinks to campus and Franklin Street. As a high school student, I dreamt of the liberties of college.

Now, as a college student, I wonder: Where did this mythical freedom escape to? I know many people are upset about parking.

But, not only do I feel slighted, I have an idea. Eliminate student parking for those who live in the Chapel Hill area that is on a bus line.

These students already have a place to keep their vehicles, which can be used at their leisure.

It is obvious that a car is not used to drive from class to class but simply to campus -- a bus serves the same purpose. This would allow residents to have a car for visits home, trips off campus and emergency situations. It is deplorable that the parking situation has come to this.

Sue Estroff, Faculty Council chairwoman, said, "This shouldn't surprise anyone -- we knew it was coming." They knew it was coming and yet did nothing -- purposely ignoring student needs.

"A bed for every head." You need a parking space, too? Not a trace.

Emily Johnson

Freshman

Undecided

Editor's Note

Interested in becoming a columnist, editorial board member or cartoonist? Pick up an application in the front offices of The Daily Tar Heel, Suite 104 of the Student Union. Applications are due Friday, Nov. 30. No e-mail applications will be accepted. Have questions? E-mail editorial page editor Kate Hartig at khartig@email.unc.edu.