Thursday, June 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

E-mail to Solicit Opinions on Night Parking

The survey, which was created by the Office of Institutional Research, will be sent out today to all faculty, students and staff. Results will be due Tuesday so the information can be used at next week's emergency TPAC meeting.

At Wednesday's TPAC meeting, members proposed the idea of charging money after 5 p.m. for parking in many on-campus lots that now have free night parking.

Director of Public Safety Derek Poarch said the survey will consist of six questions designed to analyze the availability of night parking on campus and the need for spaces.

"(The survey) deals with the frequency and reasons people need to be on campus to park at night," Poarch said.

Poarch said the survey's six questions will address whether nighttime spaces are required for on-campus residents or commuters, how often spaces are needed, for what region of campus they are needed and why people who park on campus at night need spaces.

Poarch said he hopes to see a good response from the survey by Tuesday.

"I certainly want to make the strongest point of asking people, when they get the survey, to fill it out," he said. "I think it will take less than two minutes to do."

Poarch said DPS also will be assessing the demand for night parking in other ways, such as a lot count by parking enforcement officers to determine usage and space availability at night.

Student Body President Justin Young, who was present at Wednesday's TPAC meeting, said he is glad the committee will be receiving student feedback about the need for night parking.

But he said he is not sure how helpful the survey will be due to its short time frame.

"I don't think there's much time for student feedback to come from it," Young said. "It's such short notice -- a lot of people on campus don't stay here on the weekend or don't read the paper Friday to find out about this."

Young also said he hopes students send e-mails to committee members to express their opinions more completely.

"I think it's totally unnecessary to charge for night parking -- students who want to go to the library or go to meetings at night should have the freedom to do so."

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide