Family, Coach Aid Crawford's Game

And learned it very early.

"Probably since I could walk, as far as I know," said Crawford, a midfielder and defender for the Tar Heels. "My dad made a little goal out of PVC pipes when I was younger, and I would go and play with him."

He also spent a lot of time playing with his older brother, Andy, a former soccer player at Washington & Lee.

"Whether it was wrestling or soccer or any sport, we were always competing with each other," Crawford said.

And it is that competitive background that Crawford has carried into his college career.

As a defender, he places aggressive pressure on opposing forwards. Proof of that was evident after Crawford received a black eye during last Saturday's 1-0 win against Clemson.

Fellow defender David Stokes said it is also proof that Crawford will do whatever necessary to help the team win.

"He's not too vocal, he just leads by example," Stokes said. "He just does his job."

Along with Stokes, Danny Jackson, Chris Leitch and goalkeeper Michael Ueltschey, the defenders have allowed an average of 0.7 goals a contest.

But he is best noted for his assists in the midfield. He already has made six assists this season, along with three goals.

Throughout his career as a Tar Heel, Crawford has tallied 17 assists and five goals.

He returned this season as UNC's top assist leader, and was ready to play a larger role on the squad.

"Last year we had a lot of big-name players, and since we've lost a lot of them, leadership needs to come from the younger players," Crawford said. "I've tried to do that this year."

Crawford, last year's recipient of the Tom Evins Jr. Award as UNC's most improved player, has had more than family to help his soccer game.

He also learned the game through a familiar coach during his high school days -- North Carolina coach Elmar Bolowich.

Bolowich coached a local club soccer team of high school players in the Triangle area -- Crawford, a Durham resident, attended Durham Academy. Other members of Bolowich's club team were current UNC players Logan Pause, Mike Gell and Ryan Levitan.

His eight-year experience with Bolowich has given Crawford not only a long-standing coach, but a mentor on and off the field.

"He was real good for me because he helped me realize what the college game is like and how I needed to progress," Crawford said.

And the transition from club team to college player did not change his perception of Bolowich.

"I thought he would be very serious and all business," Crawford said. "But I like his coaching style because he is very direct and to the point. Some people don't like that and would rather be pampered, but he doesn't do that and I like it."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@.unc.edu.