Favorite Local Band Takes Audience on Sensory Trip

Weekend Excursion
Cat's Cradle

Under colored lights and a thin layer of smoke, a sold-out crowd greeted local favorites Weekend Excursion at the Cat's Cradle on Oct. 4.

Using all the tricks of the concert circuit, the band got and kept the jumping, hair-flipping audience on its feet. Weekend Excursion provided exactly what its name promises, a chance to get down - and get away from it all.

Boasting accessible, but rarely innovative melodies, the sound of Weekend Excursion has changed since the loss of its violinist. But the band's spirit remains the same - its high energy, feel good rock still feels like the uncrushable spirit of five friends road tripping on fall break. The band knows its strength relies primarily on the energy of its live shows.

The group members put seven years of experience and much thought into the performances they aim to give. This concert was obviously geared toward running the crowd ragged.

Drummer Cas Edmunds sustained a break-neck pace that would've drained most bands; likewise, the group's stamina was the concert's most impressive aspect. For two hours, the band gave its audience an early Weekend Excursion, sending them off with one hell of a party.

But the band clearly had another goal in mind as well. All of this fun also was colored with a sense of healing. Singer and guitarist Sam Fish did a solo cover of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On," and called a moment of silence to remember the many victims on the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

The band used up all it had left for its encore. Guitarists Chris Groch and Jeff Foxworth wiped well-earned sweat off their foreheads for an eclectic medley of Bobby Brown's "My Prerogative," The Jackson 5's "I Want You Back," Young MC's "Bust A Move," and Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Held by the applause of new and devoted fans alike, Weekend Excursion was long in leaving the stage. But the house lights finally came on, and both band and fans left feeling well spent from one wild night off.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.