Forum to Allow Student Input on Qatar

The forum, sponsored by student government and the Campus Y, will be held at 3:30 p.m. in Gerrard Hall and is open to the public.

Moeser said he hopes the forum will answer students' questions about the possibility of establishing a satellite campus in the Middle Eastern nation.

He said the issues raised at the event will figure prominently into his decision about developing the undergraduate business school. "The essence of the forum is to have an informal give-and-take," Moeser said. "It's an important opportunity to get feedback from students."

Student Body President Justin Young said students should take advantage of the chance to learn more about UNC-Chapel Hill's initiative. "I hope students will get the opportunity to ask questions and get more information about the proposal," he said. "I think the forum will raise awareness and allow us to convey our concerns."

Some faculty members and students have been critical of the proposal because of concerns about safety, reports of human rights violations in the country and the program's compatibility with UNC-CH's academic mission.

Student leaders also have criticized the administration for not considering student input in the proposal's development. They were upset that no students were included in the delegation that traveled to Qatar this month. Young, a voting member of the UNC-CH Board of Trustees, asked to be included on the trip, but his request was denied. The final group was composed of about 40 faculty members, three members of the BOT and two members of the UNC-system Board of Governors.

But Student Body Vice President Rudy Kleysteuber said he is confident Moeser will be receptive to student opinion today. "I do expect he will come with open ears. Make no mistake, the administration wants this to happen, but they are very open to students' concerns."

This afternoon's forum panel will include Moeser, business professors Jennifer Conrad and Bob Adler, and James Thompson, chairman of the Department of English, all of whom traveled to Qatar. After an introduction by the chancellor, the faculty panelists will deliver brief presentations on their opinions of the program's viability and legitimacy.

Campus Y President Raj Panjabi said this is a good opportunity for students to share possible objections to the initiative in Qatar. "Hopefully the decision has not already been made."