Hospitals to Display Bioterrorism Chart

The N.C. Statewide Program for Infection Control and Epidemiology has produced a chart listing several potential diseases terrorists might use as weapons. The four main diseases listed on the chart are anthrax, smallpox, botulism and the plague.

Karen Hoffman, associate director of SPICE and a UNC clinical instructor, developed the chart. Hoffman said the idea for the chart came as a result of a bioterrorism mock exercise she attended last year.

"It was clear more information for first responders who do primary care was needed," Hoffman said. "(The chart) is to help them familiarize themselves with the recognition of the agents with signs, symptoms and diagnostic tests."

The chart is also meant to alert doctors and emergency medical personnel to the threat of bioterrorism, Hoffman said. Hoffman said medical personnel should look for strange clusterings of diseases.

Hoffman said the chart has been given to all hospitals in the state free of charge. She said the chart will be available for everyone else to purchase sometime next week. The chart can be purchased at http://www.unc.edu/depts/SPICE/bioterrorism.html.

Hoffman said all of the diseases listed on the chart are threats in different ways. She said anthrax is only a threat to people exposed in the immediate area. Although anthrax has been transported through the mail recently, general mail is not likely to be infected, she said.

"There is little to no risk outside of known areas of post office contamination," Hoffman said.

Hoffman also mentioned the risk of botulism and the plague.

Botulism is a serious illness caused by a nerve toxin found in bacteria. The Plague is another bacteria-borne disease found in rodents and fleas that can be fatal if not treated.

Hoffman said smallpox would be one of the largest threats to society because it can be spread from person to person.

Hoffman said while smallpox is a lethal disease, the likelihood of it being used by terrorists is low because it exists only in labs. But she said the risk of smallpox spreading to the public can't be ignored.

"The unthinkable happened with anthrax," Hoffman said. "We don't know what's coming next."