LGBT Head Resigning From Position

Junior Fred Hashagen, who has been the LGBT coordinator since August, said he will not continue his current post because he plans to run for student body president.

He joins juniors Jen Daum, Will McKinney, Brad Overcash and Michael Woods, who also have expressed interest in running for student body president.

"I felt it would be a disservice to do both major projects -- to do one well, it would have to be all or nothing," Hashagen said.

The LGBT coordinator position will be filled by a formal application process headed by Glenn Grossman, president of the Carolina Alternative Meetings of Professional and Graduate Students.

Hashagen said the process, which will remain the same as when he was hired, will begin with potential applicants submitting their resumes to Grossman.

"Glenn will send out a lot of e-mails and talk to a lot of groups to let them know about the position -- I will help with that," he said.

Grossman then will interview the candidates and make a selection, a decision Hashagen said he also will help to make. He also said they hope the decision will be made before the semester's end.

Hashagen said he entered the coordinator role with the expectation that it was a one-semester position. He said he hopes applicants for the position will bring specific qualities to the role.

"I would like to see someone who understands the UNC LGBT community and does not necessarily give into what student organizations say," Hashagen said.

"They should look to build stronger bridges with the straight community -- it's something I've tried to do, but my primary concern has been building an infrastructure."

Hashagen said the position is crucial to LGBT students and that he looks forward to seeing someone enthusiastic fill the post.

"The coordinator position is important because there are very few resources LGBT students can refer to," he said. "The position is one which has tremendous potential."