Mayoral Hopefuls Mount Final Pushes

Chapel Hill mayoral candidates Lee Pavao and Kevin Foy -- both Chapel Hill Town Council members -- spent the day campaigning around the town and talking to people on Franklin Street.

Foy, clad in a white and red T-shirt with his name and "mayor" written on it, strolled Franklin Street on Monday afternoon, handing out pamphlets and encouraging residents to vote.

"I've been running around, dropping off campaign literature, knocking on doors and talking to people," Foy said. "Basically winding it down."

Foy said he is pleased with the way his campaign has ended and with all of the support he has received.

"I've had about 150 volunteers," he said. "It has been heartening to have a lot of help and enthusiasm."

Foy said he will be up and about at 6:30 a.m. today, trying to visit as many polls as possible.

Pavao planned a full day of meeting with potential voters, starting with Monday morning's ribbon-cutting opening ceremony at XOXO women's apparel store on East Franklin Street.

"After the opening, I spent the rest of the morning walking Franklin Street, talking to the people in establishments and on the street," he said. "I like to do that anyway."

Pavao said he spent the rest of his afternoon at Southern Village, talking to parents at Scroggs Elementary School and campaigning in the Timberlyne area. "I received a lot of good reactions from every area I covered today," he said.

Pavao said he is pleased with the way his campaign has gone, although he said it was more challenging than his previous Town Council campaigns.

"We had a game plan, and we've stuck to it," Pavao said. "We're confident. It has been a long haul, a very busy campaign."

In Carrboro, incumbent Mike Nelson and challenger Stacy Smith took different approaches to their last day on the campaign trail.

Nelson said he spent Monday making phone calls and dropping off signs at precincts, trying to ensure his re-election.

"We will be working the polls all day," Nelson said. "I will probably stay at the North Carrboro (Precinct), since that is where the vast majority of people vote in Carrboro."

Nelson said he feels good about his campaign.

"It has been great," he said. "I have been endorsed by everyone who gives endorsements. I feel great about it."

Smith said she spent Monday putting up signs at the polling places but said she discounted the need for last-minute campaigning.

"I admit that I haven't done much," Smith said. "I think at this point people have already made up their minds."

But Smith said she is pleased with her campaign's progress.

"I have had a great time," she said. "It has been a great campaign."

All four of the candidates agree that campaigning has been a positive but trying experience.

"It has been fun, but I'll be glad to see what the results are," Foy said. "Then I can get some sleep and relax."

Pavao said he also plans on relaxing after tomorrow but said the work does not end after Election Day.

"I could use a little rest. This was far busier than my other two campaigns," he said. "But council starts up soon, so I don't have much time."

Nelson agreed that the culmination of the race will be a relief.

"It has been great," Nelson said. "But I just want a little sleep.

"And a huge gin and tonic."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.