Native American Heritage Gets Month in Spotlight

Events include a weekend for high school recruitment, art workshops, lectures and Native American films.

November's events will include film screenings, lectures and art workshops.

The events kicked off on Nov. 1 with a screening of "In the Light of Reverence," a film about how popular culture has tried to destroy Native American spiritual sights. Events continue today at 4:00 p.m. with a lecture about Native American history and tribal communities given by David Edmund, a professor at the University of Texas at Dallas.

Rachel Blue, president of the Indian Circle, said Native American Heritage Month is important because it provides an opportunity to educate people about the history of Native Americans.

Blue said many people have misconceptions about Native Americans. She said many images in popular culture -- like tepees -- are mistakenly thought to be part of the culture of all Native American tribes, when they really only are part of the culture of tribes from the western United States.

Blue said educating the public about misrepresentations of Native Americans and dispelling myths and stereotypes is important. "People assume that all Native Americans fit a certain prototype, and that's not true."

Blue said North Carolina has the largest Native American population east of the Mississippi River, but Native American students only account for four-fifths of a percent of UNC's student population.

From Nov. 29 to Dec. 1, there will be a Native American Recruitment Weekend when high school students will visit UNC, Blue said.

Blue also said UNC does not have a major or a minor in Native American studies, adding that these events could show administrators that there is a need for a Native American studies curriculum.

Professor Theda Perdue, who teaches several classes on Native American history, said the first step to offering a degree in Native American studies is hiring more faculty who would be able to teach core classes.

A curriculum in Native American studies would make UNC more attractive to students, Perdue said. "(A curriculum) would say to prospective students that we think Native American issues and history are important and that (Native American students) have a place at UNC as a person."

Blue said Native American students face unique challenges that other UNC students do not face. She said many students come from communities with populations that are up to 90 percent Native American, and this number is drastically reduced when they come to UNC.

Blue said having a month to celebrate Native American student culture is important. "It's a chance to highlight the struggles of the Native American people, and it's an opportunity for us to shine."