Real World to Hold Open Casting Call for 12th Season

Directors for MTV's reality-based show "The Real World" will be holding an open casting call in Durham.

The casting call will be held at Yancey's Jazz and Blues Cafe at 115 N. Duke St. from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Directors are looking for men and women aged 18-24 to join the show's 12th cast in an as-of-yet unannounced location. Filming for Season 12 will begin in February. The show airs in October.

Seventeen-year-olds who will be 18 by February 2002 may audition, but no one over age 24 will be considered.

Morgan Fahey, the show's supervising casting director, said the Triangle area is a great source of people from the show's casting and audience demographic.

No previous acting experience is necessary to apply, but those who audition are required to bring a personal snapshot and something to write with to fill out obligatory paperwork.

"We're never looking for specific talent, we're looking for interesting personalities," Fahey said.

Everyone who auditions eventually will be notified of their status either by mail or by phone, but whether or not a cast member will be chosen from the Triangle area is unknown. "It's a complete crap shoot," Fahey said.

James Auerbach, a partner at Yancey's Cafe, said that having "The Real World" on location would not only be fun but also would be good for business.

"It's a great way to expose the business to people in the Triangle," he said.

A cafe that includes live entertainment and cajun cooking, Yancey's will be selling drinks and appetizers to those who audition. Information about Brightleaf Square Entertainment Complex, where Yancey's is located, and coupons for establishments in the area will also be passed out.

Directions to Yancey's can be found on its Web page at http://www.yanceysjazzandbluescafe.com.

For more information about "The Real World" and open casting calls visit http://www.mtv.com/onair/realworld and click on Audition Info. "The Real World" airs on Tuesdays at 10 p.m.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.