Road Work to Begin Again

Despite a two-week work delay, the stop order is not expected to create a major delay or added expenses.

OWASA issued the stop work order Oct. 18, two days after a fire broke out at the corner of East Franklin Street and Estes Drive. The fire ignited when Thalle Construction workers struck a gas line while replacing a water main that runs between Chapel Hill and Durham.

The construction company met with OWASA, Duke Energy, PSNC Energy, Chapel Hill town officials and the N.C. Department of Transportation to review the incident and to determine if construction could resume.

OWASA spokesman Greg Feller said Thalle Construction handled the situation appropriately.

"Thalle Construction responded in a satisfactory way," Feller said. "Our basic focus was we didn't want this to reoccur."

Feller added that construction would continue with measures to prevent future incidents, including a more stringent review of how construction might be affected by utility lines.

"What we will do to prevent this from happening again is Thalle Construction will be more rigorously going through examination of critical crossings," Feller said. "The contractor will work with other utilities to work around that utility."

Feller also said some utility lines, such as natural gas and water, near the construction site might be taken out of service or moved lower so that construction can take place safely.

Thalle Construction officials could not be reached for comment Monday.

According to an OWASA press release, the project consists of the installation of 5,000 feet of 16-inch diameter pipe beneath Franklin Street from Bolin Creek near Estes Drive to Fordham Boulevard, east of Eastgate Shopping Center.

It is a part of OWASA's Capital Improvements Project, which is predicted to take 15 years to complete.

The press release also stated that the project aims to replace an eight-inch pipe that has been in use for decades and has fallen into disrepair.

The project began in September. Workers have placed 500 feet of pipe to date.

Feller added that construction has not been thrown far off schedule because of the fire and should be completed this winter. But he could not pinpoint an exact finishing time.

"We try not to tell our customers a specific date when doing a construction project, as there are too many factors." Feller said.

Despite the delay in construction, Feller said the project will stay within its original budget of $1.5 million.

"I don't have any indication that (the fire) would change the contract amount."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.