Thursday, June 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Student Congress Passes Redistricting

While the number of congressional seats remains the same, the number of districts was changed from 26 to 22.

Ethics Committee Chairman Dave Ruddell said six graduate school districts were consolidated into two larger districts, one for study areas relating to the College of Arts and Sciences and one for study areas relating to medicine and pharmacy. Currently, graduate districts are divided up according to more specific areas of study, which some students find confusing, Ruddell said.

He said the undergraduate districts were not significantly changed, except for the shift of Odum Village residents to a different district to even out the distribution of student representation.

Congress also amended the Student Code at the meeting in a way that will allow Congress to revoke some of a student group's funds if it fails to properly attribute the source of its funding.

The amendment requires all publications that receive funding from student government state on the title page, "This publication was funded at least in part by student fees which were appropriated by the student government at UNC-Chapel Hill."

A similar announcement will need to be made at the start of all events funded with student government money. The student body treasurer will have the authority to freeze the funds of any group that fails to recognize the role of student government in their funding.

Congress also passed a resolution advocating an open process for granting tenure to faculty.

Tenure committees for various University schools are comprised solely of faculty members and are closed to students, said Student Affairs Committee Chairman Gregory Wahl. The resolution stated Congress' belief that the "teaching aspect" be equally as important a factor in making tenure decisions as the "publication aspect."

Congress also swore in freshman Anthony Stokes as its new District 17 representative. Stokes said he is working on a Web site that will enable his constituents to communicate with each other and create a forum to discuss issues and ideas.

Congress approved senior Eryn Wade as the nominee to the Student Legal Services board of directors. Junior Will McKinney also was approved to serve on the Student Library Advisory Board.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide