Students Complain About Dust, Debris at Site

Students recently have expressed health concerns stemming from dust clouds forming around the construction site behind Lenoir Dining Hall.

Freshman Colin Rogister said he and a friend were physically affected as they walked to Lenoir last week. "We were walking behind Greenlaw (Hall) and were hit by a thick cloud of dust," Rogister said. "I have no allergies, but I coughed a lot, and it irritated my eyes."

Rogister said he immediately became ill from the site's debris.

"I found myself queasy in the Top of Lenoir before I got any food," Rogister said. "I had a drink of water to clear the nasty stuff that was coating my throat and because I was gagging."

Dana Leeson, Murphey renovation project director, said he has personally received no complaints from students and stressed that waste and debris at the site are managed effectively.

"At the site, waste all goes into a central dumpster, which is later recycled," Leeson said. "Other material is going to a central site in Durham, where it is broken apart and also recycled."

Leeson said the dust clouds could be caused by many things, including saw cuttings, which create debris.

Bruce Runberg, associate vice chancellor for planning and construction, said waste material at the site is being handled according to standards.

"We do not believe we are violating any regulations," Runberg said. "However, if a student is affected by the dust, we urge them to notify the health and safety department, which can make sure that there is nothing harmful."

According to the Environmental Protection Agency Web site, exposure to coarse particles and dust in the air can aggravate existing respiratory conditions, such as asthma. Fine particles can lead to health effects as serious as heart and lung disease, increased respiratory symptoms and disease, decreased lung function and even premature death.

The Web site states that children, the elderly and people with asthma are at greatest risk from particulates in the air.

While officials have given students ways to voice health concerns, some students said more should be done to protect them. "Every time I walk past the site I have to hold my breath because I don't want debris coming into my mouth," said junior Emma Griffis.

Although Leeson says the renovation project is progressing, students will have to put up with the site's inconveniences until next year. "This is a 360-day project, and right now we are on schedule to finish with the other construction projects next October," he said.

But Rogister said the fact that the project is on schedule does little to alleviate his concerns. "What they really need to do is to somehow deposit the waste in a manner that doesn't create a dust plume."