Students Protest Parking Proposals

About 75 students attended the Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee meeting in protest of proposals to eliminate resident student parking and to begin charging for night parking.

Student government leaders promoted the meeting Wednesday by parking Student Body President Justin Young's car in the Pit at noon, giving speeches and distributing informational fliers.

TPAC began discussing phasing out resident student parking several weeks ago. Student leaders have expressed concern that students are being left out of the process. A final decision on the issue will be made by Provost Robert Shelton.

Several students who spoke at the TPAC meeting said it was unfair that faculty and staff were given greater priority for parking than students. "I'm concerned that student parking is the first thing cut," said junior Ben Milam.

Assistant Provost and TPAC Chairwoman Linda Carl said there wasn't time to respond to students' concerns, which were aired for 15 minutes of the meeting. Young said he was disappointed that the student voice seemed to go unheeded. "I don't appreciate that students left that meeting feeling ignored and marginalized," he said.

Instead, the committee proceeded with its normal business, including a presentation on night parking by Cheryl Stout, assistant director of parking services. Dorothy Ariail, a student representative to TPAC, pressed Stout about the purpose of issuing night parking permits. Carolyn Elfland responded, saying many students, faculty and health sciences workers who have to be on campus in the evening have had trouble finding spaces.

Ariail asked Elfland for documentation that there is a shortage of night spaces, but Carl repeatedly said the meeting was for education, not discussion.

Student Body Vice President Rudy Kleysteuber jumped on stage demanding to comment in response to Carl's statement. "I claim my proxy power," he said.

Carl cut Kleysteuber off, saying he did not have the right to speak because he is not a member of TPAC.

University Police Chief Derek Poarch said he would send out police starting tonight to gather data on night parking.

Carl scheduled special a TPAC meeting for Dec. 5 to continue discussion about night parking.

After the meeting, Young and Kleysteuber led several attendees to Shelton's office to complain about the meeting's procedure. Kleysteuber said he and Young were promised in a previous meeting with Shelton that they would be allowed to give more input at the meeting. "It was supposed to be a discussion meeting," he said.

Although the meeting with Shelton was closed at student government's request, the participants emerged satisfied.

Shelton said the TPAC meeting's format was not perfect. "There's always a delicate balance with an open environment and having a working group."

Shelton also said he appreciates student input and will weigh student concerns with TPAC's recommendation, stressing that no final decision has been made. "Nothing's been signed."