Tar Heel Swimmers Dominate Blue Devils

The Blue Devils began whooping and hollering, yelling "Go Duke."

It would be about the most life Duke would show all evening.

The UNC men's and women's teams both won their first four races and cruised to 227-65 and 184-104 wins, respectively, against the Blue Devils.

The women's team improved to 3-1 and 1-0 in the ACC with the win, while the men are 2-2, 1-0. Duke's women fell to 1-3, 0-3, while its men dropped to 0-4, 0-3.

Sophomore Jessi Perruquet, who won the 50-yard freestyle in 23.64 seconds and was a member of the winning 200-freestyle and medley-relay teams, said the quick start was important to the team's success.

"We couldn't take anything for granted," Perruquet said. "Duke is improving, and they have some great swimmers."

Juniors Janna Turner and Christy Watkins, also members of the winning relay teams, each won individual events. Turner won the 200 butterfly in 2 minutes, 10.01 seconds, and Watkins won the 100 butterfly in 57.43.

UNC's men were led by senior captains Kert Johnson and Chris Helin. Johnson swam on the victorious 200 freestyle and medley-relay teams, while Helin won the 200 butterfly in 1:50.91 and anchored the freestyle-relay team, which won with a time of 1:26.38.

Johnson said he was impressed by the team's focus against a perennially weak Duke squad.

"This year, it was probably tougher than usual because we were coming off the long weekend," he said. "We just tried to treat it the same as any other meet."

Johnson said the team now looks to next weekend's Nike Cup, UNC's last meet this fall.

"We're getting faster every meet," he said. "And we should have a fast meet come the Nike Cup, too."

But Tuesday wasn't all good for the UNC men's team. Junior All-American Sean Quinn broke his left foot Monday night after stepping off of a curb.

UNC swimming coach Frank Comfort said he wouldn't comment on Quinn's status until after Quinn's doctor's appointment, scheduled for today.

Comfort said Quinn's injury proves his team can't take its training or meets against lesser opponents lightly.

He said, "You don't know when you might step off a curb and possibly have your season come to an end."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.