UNC Marks Key Racial Milestone

Several campus groups will join to celebrate the 50th anniversary of UNC's racial integration this week.

In an effort to heighten awareness about the racial climate on campus in years past and the difficulties that faced black students, the Campus Y, the Black Student Movement, the Office of Minority Affairs and Admissions Offices are sponsoring a celebration of the 50th anniversary of racial integration at UNC this week.

Lindsay Reed, Campus Y special projects innovator, said she feels integration is an issue that students today need to be informed about.

BSM President Kristi Booker said the celebration recognizes the early students' courage in enrolling in the University and their struggles during integration.

"They opened the doors to other students of color to make the University a diverse place," Booker said. "It is also our way of honoring their contributions."

A historical fair was held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m Tuesday in the Pit. Reed, who started researching integration last spring, displayed articles and pictures about the first black students who enrolled at UNC.

A panel discussion will be held at 8 p.m. Thursday at 103 Bingham Hall. Panel speakers will include Jack Boger, a law professor, and Herb Davis, a representative from the admissions office.

The discussion will focus on racial preference in college admissions. Boger will be talking about various forms of affirmative action.

Boger said affirmative action was put into place in the 1960s and 1970s and affects higher education, government contracting and employment. UNC does not use affirmative action in its admissions policies. "In the mid-1970s, affirmative action programs came under legal challenge, and the Supreme Court has been wrestling with this for 25 years," he said.

The discussion will address whether the University should give preference to students of color because they were denied admission before integration.

"It should be an engaging conversation about how to rectify the situation where there has been inequality for some time," Reed said.

On Friday, a dinner reception open to the public will be held. Anyone who wants to attend must R.S.V.P. to the Office of Minority Affairs.

Reed said the point of the week's celebration is not to dwell on the past but to promote consciousness and action for more diversity in the future. "I feel like race is a taboo," she said. "It makes us uneasy because we haven't dealt with it."

Reed said it is important to increase the number of students of color at UNC to have a more accurate reflection of the racial makeup in the state. "I don't think you can have a truly intellectual environment without all races," Reed said. "I hope that people realize you are advantaged because the University is diverse."