UNC Senior Killed in 1-Car Interstate Crash

Sarah Laney, a sociology major, was ejected from the vehicle she rode in and died early Wednesday morning.

Sarah Laney, of 206 University Dr., was the only passenger in a car driven by UNC junior Annick Le Goff, said Trooper Timothy T. Daniels of the N.C. Highway Patrol. Daniels said Goff fell asleep and lost control of the vehicle, a 1998 Toyota 4Runner.

The car was heading east on I-40 when it ran into a median, returned to the highway and overturned several times, Daniels said. He said the single-car accident occurred at 5:15 a.m. approximately two miles northwest of Chapel Hill.

Laney was ejected from the vehicle and sustained fatal injuries on the scene, Daniels said.

He said Goff suffered minor injuries and was taken to UNC Hospitals. A UNC Hospitals representative said Goff was no longer a patient Thursday evening.

Laney, a sociology major, was a member of Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority. She also worked at Four Eleven West and Elaine's On Franklin, both restaurants on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill.

Bret Jennings, head chef and owner of Elaine's, said Laney had worked as a hostess for four months. He said Laney quickly became part of the restaurant family during her time there.

"She had a pick-me-up smile and attitude," he said. "This is a very ugly thing that happened to a very beautiful person."

Laney was from Shelby, where she was a member of Central United Methodist Church. Jeannie Hamrick, director of Christian education, said Laney grew up attending the church.

With her energy and spirit, Laney had a remarkable passion for life, Hamrick said.

"She was so vivacious, so spirited, so full of life," she said. "Sarah truly stood out. She was beautiful inside and out."

Carol Schenk, Laney's aunt, said Laney was an outgoing person who was actively involved in the Shelby community and at UNC.

"Sarah was energetic and lived life to the fullest," she said. "She was involved in so many things. She cared about everyone and always had a smile on her face."

Schenk said her niece loved music, horses, swimming and traveling. She said Laney studied abroad at the University of Burgundy in Dijon, France, this past summer.

The funeral service and visitation will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Central United Methodist Church.