Vinroot Drops Bid For U.S. Senate Seat

Vinroot says he was advised that a loss in the Republican primary might later hurt his chances to win N.C. governmental offices.

Vinroot, a former Morehead Scholar and UNC basketball player, was joined for his announcement in Charlotte by fellow candidate Elizabeth Dole, whom he said he will support in her bid to claim the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Jesse Helms.

Vinroot's withdrawal from the race leaves Dole as the only well-known candidate seeking the Republican nomination.

In an interview with The Daily Tar Heel after his announcement, Vinroot said he decided to leave the race after realizing how difficult it would be for him to defeat Dole.

"I'm realistic. I can see how incredibly popular (Dole) is," Vinroot said. "Every poll I've seen has her beating everyone -- Democrat or Republican -- not just me."

Vinroot said he would have a hard time raising enough money to compete with Dole, especially with the nation's declining economic situation.

Vinroot also said his withdrawal from the race leaves the door open for Dole to seize the Republican nomination.

Dole's only remaining competitors on the Republican side are four lesser-known candidates -- Lexington lawyer Jim Snyder, Rowan County Board of Education member Ada Fisher, Lumberton radiologist Jim Parker and Salisbury insurance agent Douglas Sellers.

Democrats who have expressed interest in seeking the post include N.C. Rep. Dan Blue, D-Wake, former White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles, Durham council member Cynthia Brown and N.C. Secretary of State Elaine Marshall.

Vinroot said that while he was not nudged to step aside by members of the Republican Party -- as some media outlets have reported -- he has had several conversations in recent weeks with Republican National Committee chairman and Virginia Governor Jim Gillmore about his chances of beating Dole.

Vinroot said Gillmore told him it would be difficult for him to beat Dole without resorting to personal attacks, which Vinroot said he was unwilling to do against Dole, whom he considers a longtime friend.

He added that Gillmore didn't want him to lose another election, fearing it could hinder his political career.

"`We don't want to lose you -- we want you to come back to fight another day,'" Vinroot said he was told by Gillmore.

Vinroot's bid for a statewide office ended in defeat twice before. Vinroot lost the Republican nomination for governor in 1996 to Robin Hayes, and just a year ago, Vinroot lost a narrow gubernatorial election to Democrat Mike Easley.

But Vinroot said he might consider another bid for a statewide office in the future.

He said, "I have not give up my ambition to be the governor of this state."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.