Walker Bails Out Tar Heels, Again

North Carolina midfielder Jordan Walker seems particularly picky about which shots she capitalizes on.

The sophomore has snuck three goals into opponents' nets this season. But these weren't just any three goals.

All three were game-winners.

Walker's goal against Rutgers on Saturday was particularly important to the Tar Heels' vitality. Without Walker's blinding run from midfield in the 83rd minute, which set up her chip shot to clinch a 2-1 North Carolina victory, UNC might not have advanced to the fourth round of the NCAA Women's College Cup -- a first the team certainly did not want to experience.

Walker said that when she started to sprint, she just hoped that she was faster than the other player. But when the Scarlet Knight was left in the dust, Walker was free to do what she does best.

"I was ecstatic," said UNC coach Anson Dorrance. "Jordan said after she made that run from midfield she was seeing stars. She invested every calorie in that game-winner.

"She doesn't waste her goals."

Well put, Coach.

Walker's other game-winners came against Duke and Virginia, two teams that troubled the Tar Heels' offense.

But a goal that especially sticks out in Walker's growing list is from last year when she assured UNC a berth in the 2000 Championship game when she scored against Notre Dame in the Final Four.

"A lot of it is luck," Walker said. "When it comes down to the wire, I get especially focused. That's one of my strengths."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.