Woman Robbed on Franklin Street

Meads, 54, had just bought a new house and was on her way to Carrboro to sell another.

But on Friday she was robbed of an unspecified amount of money while in her car on Franklin Street.

"I wasn't really in criminal-chasing clothes," said Meads, a Chapel Hill resident.

"I was wearing a skirt and stockings, carrying briefcases and contracts."

Meads, a UNC graduate, said she was pulling away from the curb in her Chrysler Sebring convertible, which had been parked outside of Miami Subs, when she collided with some handtrucks that were in the road.

Some passers-by attempted to help Meads by moving the equipment and then giving her directions as she once again tried to pull out into traffic, she said.

"The people standing around, they were very nice and helpful," Meads said.

"They told me when to go back and forward and then when I was clear of the dollies."

Meads said it was during this confusion that the robbery took place.

Police reports state that at 10:33 a.m., an assailant stole an unspecified amount of money from Meads' wallet and fled on foot.

"One of the people helping leaned in my window and asked if they could have a tip," she said.

"I was happy to help and opened my wallet. "The man then reached over, took all the money from my wallet and ran away."

As of yet, no arrests have been made, but the case is under further investigation.

Chapel Hill Police Spokeswoman Jane Cousins could not be reached for comment Sunday.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.