Feingold's Speech Postponed Because of Senate Vote

Chris Brook, president of the UNC Young Democrats, said Feingold will speak at 8 p.m. Jan. 14 in Memorial Hall. A reception will be held before his speech at 6:30 in the Morehead Building.

Feingold's visit to UNC was scheduled for today, but Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., called for a vote on the economic stimulus package.

Brook said Feingold would not have enough time to speak tonight and would have to return to Washington, D.C., for the vote.

Brook said that under normal circumstances Feingold would have had no conflicts because congressmen usually reserve Mondays for non-Washington business. "This is something that never happens," Brook said.

He said Daschle called for a Monday vote because of the critical condition of the economy, which made it essential for the Senate to vote on the stimulus bill.

The National Bureau of Economic Research reported early this week that the U.S. economy has been in recession since March.

The U.S. House of Representatives already has passed a stimulus bill, but the Senate has not.

Brook said the Young Democrats asked the senator to speak because of his status. "He is one of the most prominent members (and) progressive voices of the United States Senate," he said.

Feingold was the only senator to oppose the USA PATRIOT Act, an anti-terrorism bill that passed the Senate 98-1.

He offered several amendments to the bill. One would have limited the authorized roving wiretap provisions. Another would have narrowed law enforcement's access to employee work records.

But the Senate passed the anti-terrorism legislation without any of the amendments Feingold proposed.

Brook said Feingold will speak in January about his opposition to the death penalty and racial profiling. He also will discuss national security and campaign finance reform.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.