Inauguration Filled With Gratitude

Kevin Foy, Chapel Hill's new mayor was sworn in along with new Town Council members Ed Harrison, Mark Kleinschmidt and Dorothy Verkerk and incumbent member Edith Wiggins.

But a large portion of the ceremony was dedicated to honoring the town's retiring officials.

Chapel Hill residents expressed appreciation to former Mayor Rosemary Waldorf as well as retiring council members Joyce Brown and Lee Pavao before the new officials took their oaths.

Waldorf also expressed her thanks to the town's residents and offered advice to Foy and the new council members.

"I do want to pass on something -- remember you are representing everyone in town," Waldorf said. "Including those who don't pay attention."

Waldorf received a standing ovation from the packed crowd at the Chapel Hill Town Hall following her remarks.

She received gifts from the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, Chapel Hill Downtown Commission and the Orange Community Housing Corporation for her service to these organizations.

After taking his oath, Foy also received a standing ovation from the crowd.

He then conducted the remainder of the meeting, which included honoring Waldorf and retiring council members Pavao and Brown.

"It is an honor for me to accept the position of mayor," Foy said. "I look forward to working closely with the new council on issues that will benefit the town."

Foy also thanked the crowd for coming to the inauguration and encouraged residents to make their voices heard. "Citizens need to speak out early and often, as you always do," he said. "We need to treasure our civil liberties, exercise our rights and protect our constitution."

The new council members also expressed their appreciation to their families, voters and campaign assistants as well as their excitement about serving the town.

"I am very nervous being here," Kleinschmidt said. "But I am looking forward to serving for the next four years."

Wiggins said she is looking forward to her future service to the town.

"I am excited about being re-elected and serving four more years," she said.

Both Brown and Pavao expressed their gratitude to the council and the town for their support during their terms.

Brown, who has served on the council for 12 years, said she has benefited greatly from her service. "It has been my privilege to represent the town," Brown said. "I consider it an honor to serve Chapel Hill."

Pavao, who ran for mayor against Foy, ended his eight years as a council member by thanking the town for allowing him to serve.

"One of the things I will miss is the collaboration with my fellow members," he said. "But I won't be far away."

Council member Pat Evans was elected mayor pro tem, replacing Pavao.

In his closing remarks, Foy thanked everyone who came to celebrate the inauguration. "It is a celebration of a government of the people, by the people and for the people."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.