Shooting Injures Student

After a shotgun wound to his right ankle, the victim ran to a nearby residence, where police were called.

A second UNC junior escaped the incident unharmed.

The injured victim, a 21-year-old romance languages major, was shot by an unknown subject between 2:25 a.m. and 2:32 a.m., reports state.

Police have no suspects in the incident at this time.

The second victim is a 22-year-old psychology major.

Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins said the incident occurred while the two victims were walking on Mitchell Lane, located behind West Rosemary Street near the Hargraves Center.

Cousins said the area of town where the shooting occurred is not usually a problem area.

"This incident is real unusual," she said.

Cousins said a dark-colored minivan pulled up alongside the victims and flung open its sliding door.

The victims described seeing two men and one shotgun inside the minivan, Cousins said.

Reports state that the men in the vehicle demanded cash from the two victims.

Cousins could not specify the context of the discussion because the information is not known at this time.

Reports state that the victims fled the scene after a short interaction with the subjects.

While attempting to elude the gunmen, the 21-year-old victim was shot in the right ankle and fell to the ground, Cousins said.

No information regarding the make of the gun was available Monday.

The victim returned to his feet and continued to run until he reached a residence on Nunn Lane, less than half a mile from Mitchell Lane.

The residents of the home called 911 shortly after the victim arrived, reports state.

The other victim, who fled toward Rosemary Street, escaped from the scene unharmed, reports state.

Neither UNC Hospitals nor Duke Hospitals shows a record of the injured victim having been admitted for treatment for a gunshot wound.

There was no information available as to what happened to the assailants after the incident.

"We have no suspects at the moment," Cousins said.

"We are trying to find who did this."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.