Aldermen Clarify Franchising Agreement for Time Warner

At Tuesday's Board of Aldermen meeting, the board approved a letter written by the town attorney to Time Warner clarifying certain points of the franchising agreement. Time Warner was concerned these points would conflict with a standing town ordinance governing cable licensing in the town.

Carrboro issues franchising agreements to companies seeking to do business in the town. The agreement under consideration would give Time Warner a legal monopoly within Carrboro's district.

Time Warner representative Brad Phillips said he is hopeful the two parties will soon come to an agreement. "Our main concern was clarifying how exactly the standing town ordinance and franchising agreement would fit together," Phillips said.

Time Warner officials met with Town Manager Bob Morgan and town attorney Michael Brough to iron out the potential points of conflict in the language of the ordinance and the agreement.

"This is a 10-year franchising deal, so we want to make sure that in eight years, someone can look at the wording of these two documents and have no question as to the intent of their wording," Phillips said.

The board submitted a proposal to Time Warner on April 21. The company rejected it on the grounds of conflict between the ordinance and the agreement. The aldermen drafted a letter clearing up ambiguities in the documents' wordings. Time Warner has 30 days to reject or accept the board's letter.

Alderman Mark Dorosin said he has high hopes for the deal. "I think at this point that (the proposal) will go through," he said. "It would be very surprising to find out that they would reconsider at this time."

Phillips said Time Warner is optimistic about the deal's prospects. He said, "We just wanted to make everything clear, and then we'll be on very good footing with the town of Carrboro."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.