Author Admits Plagiarism; Professors Reconsider Texts

Author Stephen Ambrose, who has written more than 30 nonfiction history books, admitted last Monday that passages in his new book "The Wild Blue" were taken from Thomas Childers' 1995 book, "The Wings of Morning." Although Ambrose uses footnotes referencing Childers in the passages, he fails to give direct attribution.

In a statement issued by his publisher, Simon & Schuster, Ambrose apologized for plagiarizing the passages, vowing to correct them in future editions of his book. A representative from the publisher declined to comment on the case during a phone interview Friday.

But an apology might not be enough to keep other Ambrose books in UNC classrooms. Three UNC courses -- History 69, Army 31 and History 73 -- are slated to include readings from Ambrose's books this semester.

History professor Richard Kohn, who uses Ambrose's book "Eisenhower: Soldier and President" in his History 69 class, said he is considering removing the text from his syllabus.

"I've known (Ambrose) for 30 years, and I know that from his research at Johns Hopkins University he has firsthand, intimate knowledge of the Eisenhower documentation," he said. "But plagiarism is a grievous professional transgression in the academic world."

Kohn also said he thinks members of the academic community regard Ambrose's work differently.

"While he has an enormous public reputation, he has a mixed reputation among academics because in recent years he has focused on popular history," he said. "We are aware of both the strengths and weaknesses of his works."

Kohn said he is discussing the issue with other members of the UNC faculty. "I am consulting with at least one other colleague to determine if I will discontinue use of the book and ask the bookstore to refund students' money," he said.

But senior Mark Townsend, who will read Ambrose's book "Band of Brothers" in his History 73 course, said he thinks syllabuses should remain intact despite recent charges. "Personally, I'm a bit partial to Stephen Ambrose," Townsend said. "I enjoy his work. He has plagiarized, but he has admitted to it and offered to make changes in future editions."

Townsend said the charges send a message to students who might think of plagiarism only in terms of the UNC Honor Code. "(The case) shows that plagiarism should be taken seriously and that it happens in the real world, too," he said. "Just because you're famous or not a student doesn't mean you are exempt from the rules."