Friday December 9th

Grundy, Miller Snag 1st Win Versus UNC

He landed on his back side, fell to the ground and crawled to the Wolfpack bench. He tried to make it to an available chair toward the end of the row but couldn't. Wincing in pain and holding his hip, which his shorts hung below after the spill, Grundy forced trainer Charlie Rozanski to tend to him on the floor.

Somehow you knew Grundy wasn't done, even though Hodge's layup extended N.C. State's lead to 16 with 8:49 to go. He wouldn't miss this.

Two minutes and 17 seconds later in the second half Wednesday, Grundy returned to finish the job -- handing the Tar Heels a loss for the first time in his career. By 18, nonetheless, over the bitter rivals.

"For me not to win over here these past years has been tough," said Grundy, who scored five of his team-high 21 points after returning to the game. "Our older guys weren't going to be denied, and it trickled down to the young guys that we were going to win no matter what."

Determined Grundy and his team certainly were. The scrappy 6-foot-3 guard willed eight rebounds, tying for a game high with UNC's Kris Lang, and five steals.

Fellow senior Archie Miller exhibited the same leadership with his 20 points. He hit three of his six 3-point attempts and repeatedly answered UNC attempts to crawl back in the game.

"They were really focused," said Hodge of the seniors' preparation for the showdown.

The win might have come against a beyond-struggling North Carolina team, now loser of six straight and six at home this season. It might have come with Tar Heel senior Jason Capel in street clothes because of a concussion suffered eight days prior.

But it was no less sweet for the Wolfpack seniors and their roaring contingent in the Smith Center.

"Right now they're not playing as good as they want to," Grundy said. "But we'll take the win any way we can get it."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2022 Year in Review