Late Mistakes Extend UNC's Streak

An errant pass and two ill-advised fouls cost the Tar Heels down the stretch Saturday against Virginia.

The UNC freshman guard penetrated through the Cavaliers' defense before getting himself trapped just a few feet from the basket.

Manuel jumped and lobbed a pass out to an open Jason Capel, who easily scored to cut Virginia's lead to 69-67. The basket was an example of UNC performing well under pressure, something it has struggled with this year.

On the next possession, Virginia's Roger Mason Jr. drove up the court with Manuel trying both to guard and not to foul the 90.6-percent foul shooter. Manuel didn't succeed -- an example of a costly mistake under pressure.

Mason made both of his free throws, stretching the lead to 71-67. Virginia turned on the defensive heat, and the Tar Heels couldn't score, leaving the Smith Center crowd of 20,079 to witness North Carolina's third straight loss.

"We didn't want to foul Mason, that was clear," said UNC coach Matt Doherty. "I hate to talk about inexperience, but there were some plays of inexperience down the stretch."

Mason hit nine of 10 of foul shots, which made up for his dismal shooting from the floor. He was 4 of 13 and missed all of his shots in the first half.

Virginia (10-2, 1-2 in the ACC) entered halftime up by four, but the Tar Heels (5-8, 1-3) started a 12-0 run on a Capel jumper with 17:23 left in the game.

UNC's eight-point lead was the biggest advantage either team had all game, but the Tar Heels couldn't build on it and then couldn't maintain it.

The Cavs tied the game at 50 on Mason's only 3-pointer of the afternoon, and the two teams continued to battle for control throughout the rest of the game.

The Tar Heels squandered a pivotal possession with less than a minute left after they rebounded a missed Adam Hall trey and brought the ball back downcourt. But Manuel made a bad pass to Jawad Williams and the Cavs' Jermaine Harper stole the ball.

"I saw a couple guys in front of me, so I didn't want to throw the ball up and make it a difficult pass," Manuel said. "I tried to make a bounce pass, and as I was passing, it slipped out of my hands."

Mason tacked on four more points on foul shots to seal the win for the Cavs.

"It just didn't come out our way today," said Kris Lang, who led the Tar Heels with 18 points.

"We've got to hang our hats on that we played hard."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.