Local Leaders Welcome Fare-Free Bus System

"It is a great day in Chapel Hill," said Chancellor James Moeser. "Students and faculty can now board without having to use change, tickets or passes."

The ceremony, which took place near the Bell Tower, was to congratulate the members of the community who helped achieve the new system, which began Jan. 2, and to promote increased ridership.

The fare-free system, which is a collaborative effort between Chapel Hill, Carrboro and UNC, gained 40 percent of its total funding from the University after an overwhelming vote by students last February to increase their student fees.

Moeser gave special credit to the students' role in creating a transit system that will serve as a model for how public transportation can and should work.

Moeser also credited the Chapel Hill and Carrboro governments for developing a bus system that has extended hours, 11 additional buses and several new routes to service popular stops.

Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy and Carrboro Board of Aldermen member Alex Zaffron spoke about the benefits of working together with the University to promote public transportation.

"We have a common vision," Foy said.

"Making (the system) fare free is making it an alternative that we can choose in all sorts of situations."

Zaffron agreed, saying that he considers the new bus system a "step towards automobile independence."

Zaffron also said he thinks the system signals a new era in how the towns will work with the University.

Student Body President Justin Young, who recently staged protests addressing campus parking problems, said he is hopeful that the system will provide a necessary alternative to automobiles.

"Fare free is a step in the right direction to help solve some of the transportation problems on the Chapel Hill campus -- including the parking crunch," Young said.

"Increased use of public transportation is important and imperative."

Foy, Moeser, Young and Zaffron symbolically ripped up an enlarged bus pass to celebrate the new fare-free system after they briefly spoke.

Most of the speakers and audience members then boarded a new bus for a tour of the new NU route, which will serve the park-and-ride lot on N.C. 54.

As the bus slowly made its way along the snow-lined Chapel Hill streets, riders spent the trip talking with officials in an informal information session.

On board, Foy explained that a well-established and easy-to-use bus system is intended to develop positive attitudes about using the bus instead of a car.

Solutions will not be immediate, Foy said.

"I think it is a long-term process of changing the way people think.

"With the new buses we're removing one barrier -- money," he said. "Hopefully it's going to get even better."

Back at the bus stop, some riders were less optimistic about the plan, but they agreed that the free ride is a welcome relief.

"It's really nice not to have to buy the bus pass," said Denise Nettles, an employee of Carolina Dining Services. "I just hope it's going to last."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.