Men's Tennis Faces ACC Foes

The Tar Heels' top seed, Marcio Petrone, is sick and won't play in this weekend's ACC Indoor Championships.

The North Carolina men's tennis team will play in the ACC Indoor Championships this weekend at the Wake Forest Indoor Tennis Center in Winston-Salem.

The tournament begins at 8:30 a.m. on Friday and will last throughout the day and evening until Sunday.

The Tar Heels will have seven players playing in the tournament but will miss their top seed, Marcio Petrone, who will not play in the tournament because of sickness.

"We need some matches, and this tournament is a way to get us ready for play in the dual-match season," said coach Sam Paul.

Rowing Names New Assistant

Laura Fogt, a former North Carolina rower and two-time letterwinner, has joined the Tar Heels' rowing staff as an assistant coach. She will assist UNC head coach Joel Furtek in all aspects of the varsity program.

"Laura was an outstanding rower from her first year: tough, hardworking, demanding," said Furtek, who is in his fifth season at North Carolina. "She was one on whom you could count to fight until the last stroke and do so with a smile. Those same qualities make her an ideal assistant coach."

Fogt graduated from UNC in 2001 and was a three-year member the Tar Heels' varsity squad. As a senior, she was named second-team All-Central Region.

"I am honored to be a part of this staff and feel that I have been provided a great opportunity to give back to Carolina what it has given to me," Fogt said. "I am excited about working with the team and providing them with an experience they will never forget."

Fogt joins assistant coach Sarah Haney, a 1998 UNC graduate, and volunteer assistant coach Jackie Breitenstein on the Tar Heel staff.

The Tar Heels open spring competition on March 2, when they host Duke at University Lake. It is their only home event of the 2001-02 season.

Former Field Hockey Player Honored

North Carolina graduate Peggy Storrar has been named the U.S. Field Hockey Association's female Athlete of the Year. Also, the 2001 Women's National Team, which includes six current or former Tar Heels, has been honored as the organization's Team of the Year. Storrar also won the organization's top honor in 1998.

The awards were announced Thursday by the association. Honorees are candidates for the U.S. Olympic Committee's yearly awards to be announced Jan. 23.

Storrar, who played for the Tar Heels from 1990-93, is the starting goalkeeper for the national team and helped the United States to a silver medal at the inaugural Americas Cup in March 2001.

During the year, she claimed or shared six shutouts in international play, including four in seven games at the Americas Cup in Jamaica. She started all but one of the team's 17 international matches in 2001.

Storrar also helped her squad to its honor as Team of the Year. She is joined on the U.S. roster by fellow Tar Heel alumnae Kate Barber and Kristen McCann, as well as Carrie Lingo, Abby Martin and Amy Tran, all members of the 2001 UNC team. (Martin finished her eligibility with the 2001 season, while Lingo and Tran -- Storrar's backup in goal -- are still on the Tar Heel roster.)

In addition to the silver medal at the Americas Cup in Jamaica, the U.S. squad placed sixth at the Korea Telecom Cup in Seoul in July. The team also competed in a four-game series against South Africa in October.

The series celebrated 100 years of field hockey in the United States. The team was unable to compete in the World Cup Qualifying Tournament in France following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

After missing out on a spot in the 2000 Olympic Games, the national team entered a full-time residency program in Virginia Beach, Va. Barber, McCann and Storrar are members of that program.

The U.S. team currently is preparing for the Champions Challenge Feb. 9-17 in South Africa.