Metzler Falls in Tourney Final

It's especially tough when an athlete competes against someone with whom he's practiced for months beforehand.

As fate would have it, this chess match was forced upon UNC's Trystan Meniane and Andy Metzler, who met in the semifinals of the ACC Men's Indoor Championships on Sunday.

Metzler ended up winning the contest in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, before losing in the finals of the weekend tournament at the Wake Forest Indoor Tennis Center.

Metzler's success was due to both his aggressive play and the slow start of Meniane, who hadn't won the first set of a match since the second round.

"As a match goes on the pressure comes on, and I play well," Meniane said. "But in the beginning I start slow, and the next thing I know, I'm down a set."

After the grueling three-setter with his teammate, Metzler had to meet Georgia Tech's sixth-seeded Joao Menano an hour later. Menano won in three sets, 0-6, 7-6, (8-6), 6-2.

"I think the (semifinal) match wore the two out, but it was good considering the two players that were playing," said UNC assistant coach Marc Schwartz .

In the finals, Metzler was on fire throughout the first set, trouncing Menano 6-0 and hitting 11 winners.

In fact, Menano didn't win a point on Metzler's serve until the second set, when Metzler double faulted. Later in the second set, Menano earned a few more break chances as Metzler cooled off.

"(Metzler) just played an unbelievable first set, and he began coming down in the second," Menano said.

Most of the points Menano won against Metzler were due to unforced errors after important points.

While the two singles players were facing off, the second-seeded UNC doubles team of Geoff Boyd and Nick Monroe lost to the unseeded team of Florida State's Rodrigo Laub and Xaiver Luscan in the doubles finals, losing 9-8 (9-7) in a tiebreaker.

With the score knotted at 7-7, Boyd and Monroe double faulted, putting Laub and Luscan a point ahead at 8-7 and catapulting them to the win.

The tournament provided players with a chance to play before the start of the regular season and gave them a chance to surmise where their games could improve.

Said Schwartz, "I think with a little practice we can be twice as good in a month."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.