Rental, Growth Policies Top Council's Agenda

The ordinance, which outlines laws and regulations for future development, is being written in conjunction with the town's existing Comprehensive Plan, which was recently finalized by Town Council members.

Council member Dorothy Verkerk said the plan and the ordinance go hand in hand. "The (Comprehensive Plan) is basically the plan for an ideal city. The development ordinance is a way for the ideal city to come into fruition."

The Chapel Hill Planning Board met with various residents and design professionals in early January to formulate the regulations for the second draft.

Tonight the council is expected either to discuss potential changes to create a third draft or to take more time to consider the second draft.

Council member Edith Wiggins said she thinks the ordinance will allow the concepts outlined in the Comprehensive Plan to be implemented.

One vision addressed in the ordinance is to make Chapel Hill a better environment for pedestrians. "We want to allow for a walkable community," said council member Jim Ward. "We want to maintain the safety of existing communities."

Wiggins said the ordinance also will set stricter guidelines for water conservation. "The ordinance will include stricter storm water control," she said. "We will have better protection of streams and wetlands."

Ward said the ordinance is being considered to make the Comprehensive Plan legally viable. He said he predicts the ordinance will not be finalized for six months.

Wiggins said, "The Comprehensive Plan says what we want to achieve for the town. The ordinance spells out how we're going to achieve it."

Also at its meeting tonight, the council will evaluate recommendations made on rental licensing, a program that calls for landlord accountability.

The Rental Licensing Task Force, a group of council members, landlords, residents and UNC students, presented the suggestions to the council March 26, 2001. Council members might schedule a public forum for Jan. 23 to create a preliminary rental licensing program.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.