Senate Candidates Will Use Technology To Even Playing Field, Reach Out to Voters

Most of the 13 candidates for the U.S. Senate seat soon to be vacated by Jesse Helms, R-N.C., have developed Web sites to help them reach out to voters.

Although the Web sites vary greatly in their degree of sophistication, most outline campaign goals, provide candidate biographies, tell Web surfers how to contribute to a campaign and provide contact information.

While candidates with more financial backing usually have the advantage, the Internet has given candidates the chance to compete more equally.

Doug Sellers, a Republican Senate candidate, said he plans to do most of his campaign advertising on the Internet.

"I'm getting greater access to the public," Sellers said.

"I'm getting e-mails from people who otherwise wouldn't know I'm in the race."

He praised the Internet and its communication advantages.

"Anyone who has access to the Internet can get to know me personally quicker by looking at my Web site," he said.

"They can get to me before I can get to them."

Sellers said he feels that the Web is critical to reaching his target audience of younger voters and to moving into the future.

"We're in a new century now, and old-school policies are out the door," he said.

UNC political science Professor Thad Beyle said he also thinks the Internet is becoming a more important factor in political campaigns.

"I think the Internet and e-mail are very important on how you organize your campaign," he said.

Beyle said he thinks that the best aspect of using the Internet is that it allows for easy communication.

But he said traditional advertising methods will prove the most successful in the end.

"(The Web) doesn't necessarily become the vehicle to reach your voters," Beyle said.

He pointed out that the last major statewide race -- the 2000 gubernatorial race between Richard Vinroot and Mike Easley -- focused primarily on traditional advertising methods like television, rather than the Internet.

He said Vinroot spent two-thirds of his $8 million in campaign funds on traditional advertisements, while Easley spent four-fifths of his $11 million on similar advertising methods.

"I think the Senate race will mimic the governor race," Beyle said.

He said he thinks money and the candidates' fund-raising capabilities will remain critical to their campaigns.

"This is kind of the pre-primary stage," Beyle said.

"That's when people are out getting support, and more importantly, that's when you get money."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.