Site Supplies Professor Reviews

Pick-A-Prof provides free grade statistics for previous semesters and will begin selling textbooks soon.

A new Web site, http://www.pickaprof.com, breaks down by percentage the grades certain professors gave out the previous semester. The site also allows students to post professor reviews.

John Cunningham, Pick-A-Prof founder, said he created the Web site so students can find the perfect professor and class. "(The site) allows students to make an educated decision about what professors they choose."

The Web site provides free grade information from 40 universities nationwide, including UNC-CH and N.C. State University, North Carolina's only two universities on the site.

The first college to be on the Web site was Texas A&M University, Cunningham's alma mater. After three semesters online, more than 10,000 reviews have been posted about Texas A&M professors.

Cunningham said at first professors were afraid the posts could provide a negative view of them and their teaching abilities. But Cunningham said that has not been the case and that more than 75 percent of the reviews praise professors. "The faculty came to find they had nothing to be afraid of," Cunningham said.

He said each review is screened before it is posted for the public to read. Any reviews containing personal attacks or profanity are not released. In addition, the posts are ranked for content, only allowing students to read the posts considered high quality by Cunningham or his staff.

Cunningham said Pick-A-Prof soon will begin selling textbooks through the Web site. The staff at Pick-A-Prof will look around the country for the best deals on textbooks and allow students to buy them though the Web site. Cunningham said he hopes by selling books and advertisements on the Web site, he can keep it up and growing.

UNC-CH economics Professor Boone Turchi said he found the Web site to be humorous.

"If the information is public, then I see no problem with (the Web site)," Turchi said. "I think it's kind of funny actually."

According to www.pick-a-prof.com, Turchi, who is an advocate of reducing grade inflation, gave "B"s to more than 50 percent of his Economics 10 class last semester.

Jonah Turner, a senior from Raleigh, said he has regretted taking several classes in his four years at UNC-CH and wishes he could have had a resource such as www.pickaprof.com.

"It is a good idea because it gives you a better way to select a class," Turner said. "You know what you are getting into."