Throwers Take Aim At Records, ACC Titles

UNC's duo of Sal Gigante and Ibe Bilaye-Benibo set school records last weekend at the Blue Heaven Rumble.

Or maybe Sal Gigante and Ibe Bilaye-Benibo are just the best throwers in UNC track and field history.

Both have earned ACC Indoor Performer of the Week honors and have thrown NCAA provisional qualifying marks in their events this season.

And both set UNC records last weekend at the Blue Heaven Rumble.

With his throw of 67 feet, 11 inches, Gigante broke his own school record in the weight throw (64-5 3/4) and registered an NCAA provisional qualifying mark.

Gigante is looking with anticipation to the ACC championships Feb. 15 and Feb. 16 at the Eddie Smith Fieldhouse. The senior from Scarsdale, N.Y., said he hopes to have a strong outing and to challenge the conference record.

"If I don't get it, I'll be pretty upset," Gigante said.

He added that last year's top finisher, N.C. State's Isaiah Oglesby, is injured and will not throw at the ACCs.

"It bothers me," Gigante said. "I wish he was competing.

"I'm just going to go out there and compete with myself and improve my performance. I'll build on this weekend."

Bilaye-Benibo, a junior, broke the UNC women's indoor shot-put record by more than one foot with a throw of 50-6. She also set a new school record in the weight throw with a toss of 57-11.

"This was a very, very good weekend for me," Bilaye-Benibo said. "The increased competition pushed me. I had to have a bigger throw to make it to the finals."

Bilaye-Benibo said her preparation for the early season competitions are helping her get ready for the conference championships.

The personal bests will boost the athletes' confidence and give them a push going into February, said throws coach Brian Blutreich.

And their work in practice and performances at meets have pleased UNC head coach Dennis Craddock, who sees a strong finish ahead for the duo.

"They're training really hard," Craddock said. "And now they're getting their technique together with the strength they've had. Now they're beginning to do great things."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.