Undergrads Display Work At Art Awards Reception

The small gallery was filled with spectators, milling about the creatively displayed pieces and congratulating the award-winning student artists.

Photographs, ragged-edged mixed media works, drawings and three-dimensional pieces lined the gallery walls. Pedestals throughout the room held photography books and mixed media works, while a multitude of brilliant red sculpted feet lined a short section of floor.

The George Kachergis Memorial Scholarships were among the five awards that studio art majors could receive in this year's annual Department of Art program. The scholarships provide funding for travel, art supplies, tuition or future works. Recipients were given the opportunity to display their works with other department award winners.

"It's important at my age to show -- you start to learn what it takes to put a show on," said Lauren Adams, a senior winner of a Jonathan B. Sharpe Scholarship. She will use the award funding to complete her honors thesis. "It feels really good, especially because I don't recognize most of the people here."

Taylor Dansby, who won the Alexander Julian Prize as one of the best students in the art program, has already spent his scholarship money. "It's kind of a go-ahead for graduate school. It's a nice reinforcement."

Angela Salamanca, a senior recipient of a George Kachergis Memorial Scholarship, praised the idea behind the awards program. "I think that (the awards are) a good incentive for artists here at school to be more responsible and professional about their work."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.