Candidates Maximize Exposure In Last Day Before SBP Election

Student body president candidates spent their last few hours continuing their campaigns of the past three weeks and urging students to vote.

On the day before the election, candidate Brad Overcash continued to do what he says comes naturally.

"I haven't really been nervous through the campaign because I've been doing what I like to do anyways -- talk to people," he said.

Overcash said Monday that he was up at 7:15 a.m. to greet students on South Campus until 9 a.m.

Catching lunch at the Top of Lenoir, Overcash divided time between greeting voters and exchanging laughs with members of his campaign staff, one of whom dressed in a Ric Flair robe complete with sparkles, sequins and "Cash" written on the back.

Overcash completed his last day of campaigning by going back to South Campus to talk with students at Chase Hall. "As long as people are out, I'll be out talking to them," he said.

Write-in candidate Nathan Katzin spent Monday responding to questions from recipients of a mass e-mail sent Friday by his campaign.

"We got about 1,000 responses," Katzin said. "Half positive responses, half negative."

Katzin also spent Monday working on another mass e-mail and an mp3 collection of some of the songs he has written.

"I'm not a big believer in posters because I believe marketing is the No. 1 evil in the U.S.," Katzin said. "I'm just going to let my platform speak for itself."

Taking a break only to order a smoothie from Jamba Juice, candidate Fred Hashagen took advantage of his last full day of campaigning.

He said his goals for the day before the elections were to be seen and to stay upbeat. "I think today is really both for publicizing and storing energy for tomorrow," he said.

Hashagen started his day by greeting students in the Pit at noon. After a quick dinner, he spoke at three sorority houses, canvassed at Morrison Residence Hall and campaigned at the Lewis Black show.

Hashagen said his Election Day plans are to put up signs and send out a mass e-mail. "I think my chances are good. It depends on voter turnout."

While other candidates fervently campaigned in residence halls and in the Pit, candidate Bennett Mason took a more relaxed approach on the day before student elections.

Mason said he spent most of his day organizing a mass e-mail, which he sent to about 10,000 UNC students.

At 6:45 p.m., Mason focused on planning for Election Day when he visited his fellow Sigma Nu fraternity members. While watching "The Simpsons" on television, every member signed up for a two-hour time slot to help Mason campaign.

Mason said he is anxiously anticipating the election results. "I definitely have a very positive feeling about (Tuesday's) election," he said.

Write-in candidate Charlie Trakas spent his last campaigning day like any other day -- he went swimming and went to class.

He said he did not put up posters or hand out fliers because it was chilly and he didn't feel like being outside.

Trakas also said he is short on money and that he didn't think he could use his University financial aid to fund his campaign. "Maybe no one will vote," he said. "It's ridiculous anyway."

Candidate Jen Daum addressed three main points -- safety, child care and accountability -- on the last full day of campaigning.

"I want to see student government take a more proactive approach," she said.

Daum traveled to fraternity and sorority houses during the evening.

She also reminded members at the Alpha Chi Omega sorority house that in the last 209 years, there have only been two female student body presidents at UNC.

Daum went door-to-door in the Spencer Triad on Monday night to interact with students individually.

She also said she planned to wake up at 4 a.m. today to put up signs throughout campus in a last attempt to secure votes. "If I'm lucky, I can maybe get three hours of sleep."

Write-in candidate Correy Campbell spent most of Monday studying for a big exam in his marketing class.

But he still managed to find time to campaign. "During study breaks, I walked around the library, tried to find people who weren't working too hard and greeted them," he said.

Campbell said he also went into Lenoir Dining Hall and the Pit to meet people. He said the most important thing for him to do in the last hours before the election is be visible. "It's the same strategy as usual -- I just want to get my face out there and be seen."

Candidate Will McKinney stared at the overflowing bulletin board in Hamilton Hall on Monday, trying to find space for one last poster.

McKinney spent most of the afternoon throwing a football, posting signs and talking to students in the Pit.

"Election Day is tomorrow," McKinney said to two girls eating lunch in front of the Student Union. "If you get a chance to vote, that would be great. If you vote for me, even better."

McKinney and his campaign team spent the day leaving voicemail messages for students, visiting residence halls and meeting with student groups.

He said he will spend Election Day doing as much last minute campaigning as possible. "I've got a lot of supporters lined up for (today)."