Candidates Organize Last Publicity Push

Candidates used their last available weekend to organize their final campaign efforts.

The general election will be held Tuesday, with online voting available throughout the day.

Candidate Brad Overcash said he spent the weekend socializing and reminding people to vote.

Overcash said he plans to get up early Monday and Tuesday and go to South Campus to greet students on their way to morning classes.

"Wherever the people are, that's where I'll be," Overcash said. "I think we have enough supporters. We just need to get that support to the computer."

Write-in candidate Charlie Trakas said he has been trying to keep things as normal as possible.

Trakas said he went to a party Saturday night, plans to spend Monday and Tuesday studying for tests and that he does not expect to make any special campaign-related changes.

"I plan to have lunch out, which is different for me, because I normally eat lunch in," Trakas said.

Write-in candidate Correy Campbell said he is planning to continue focusing on obtaining name recognition.

Campbell said he plans to eat in Lenoir Dining Hall and talk to students in the library Monday and Tuesday.

"I'm just going to go out and meet people -- make myself seen," he said. "I'll put up a few more posters and try to get my name out there."

Candidate Fred Hashagen said his campaign staff made signs and fliers during the weekend. He also spoke to a number of groups, asking for their support on Election Day.

Hashagen said he would continue going door to door and talking to students in the Pit and at Lenoir Dining Hall. "We are just going to try to be everywhere," Hashagen said. "I'm going to shake a lot of hands and wear a big smile."

Candidate Jen Daum said she spent her weekend coordinating her final efforts and making sure there were no holes in her plans for Tuesday.

Daum said she is looking forward to going door to door Sunday evening on South Campus.

"We've been so busy with forums and other scheduled events that I haven't had a chance to go door to door," she said.

Candidate Will McKinney said he spent the weekend calling students, making posters and releasing a new video on his Web site.

He said his campaign would tie up loose ends on Sunday and Monday and then campaign from "sun up to sun down" on Tuesday.

"It's been a fun ride," McKinney said. "Whatever happens on Tuesday, I have no regrets."

Write-in candidate Nathan Katzin said he sent out one e-mail Friday and plans to send out another -- this one with a link to song lyrics -- on Monday.

Katzin said his supporters will be talking to people and passing out handbills Monday.

He said he might put up posters but that he still hadn't decided.

"I'm trying to run the campaign on the strengths of the issue (progressive energy reform)," Katzin said, "not on my face."

Candidate Bennett Mason said he spent the weekend preparing an e-mail to send out Monday and contacting groups to ask for support.

Mason said he thinks the final days are the most important part of the campaign. "My campaign has been building up momentum, and this is the final push," he said.

"I can't wait until Tuesday night to see the result of three weeks of work."